In a disaster, ordinary items in the home can cause injury and damage. Anything that can move, fall, break, or cause a fire is a potential hazard. Take time now to look around your home for potential hazards and correct any dangerous situations.
- Repair defective electrical wiring and leaky gas connections.
- Fasten all shelves securely.
- Place large, heavy objects on lower shelves.
- Hang pictures and mirrors away from beds.
- Brace overhead light fixtures.
- Secure your water heater by strapping it to wall studs.
- Repair any cracks in ceilings or foundations.
- Store weed killers, pesticides and flammable products away from heat sources.
- Place oily polishing rags or waste in tightly covered metal cans.
- Clean and repair chimneys, flue pipes, vent connectors and gas vents.